• Admission Questions

    Find answers to the most common admission questions about applying to Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts.

    Should I apply as a first-year applicant or a transfer applicant?

    First-year applicants are typically applying to The New School in their senior year of high school or have not attended another college or university full-time after they have met their high school graduation requirements. Transfer applicants have attended another college or university full-time after graduating from high school. If you are unsure if you should apply as a first-year applicant or a transfer applicant please contact us.

    Early Action is a program for best match and highly motivated first-year applicants that allows a first-year student to submit an application by November 1 and receive an admission decision in mid-December. Students must indicate their interest in Early Action when filling out the Common Application. Early Action is not a binding agreement in that students are not obligated to attend the university if offered admission. Early Action admission decisions are released in mid-December; Regular Decision admission decisions are released in mid-March.

    Is there an advantage to apply Early Action vs. Regular Decision?

    Preference is not given to students who apply Early Action vs. Regular Decision. Early Action is a great option for those students who feel confident in their application, match to the program, and wish to receive an answer about their candidacy early. Students who wish for us to review their senior year mid-year grades are encouraged to apply Regular Decision. The admission committee may choose to defer an application from Early Action to Regular Decision should the committee feel as though additional materials may be needed from the student to render a decision.

    What is the deadline for submitting my application materials?

    Deadlines vary depending upon the term of interest and student type (first-year vs. transfer). Learn how to apply to review deadline information specific to your situation.

    Do I need to submit all of my transcripts?

    First-Year Applicants: We require that applicants submit transcripts from all work completed from 9th grade forward. If an applicant attended more than one high school, and the grades are not transferred to the most recent high school transcript, students must contact their previous high school and request that the transcript is submitted. Transcripts must be submitted directly to the admission office or university by the high school(s) in order to be considered official.

    Transfer Applicants: Applicants who have completed 24+ college credits at the time of application are not required to submit a high school transcript. Applicants who have attended multiple colleges or universities must submit transcripts from EACH institution attended. Transcripts must be submitted directly by each high school, college, and/or university attended.

    The New School is test optional. What does that mean?

    The New School does not require submission of SAT, SAT Subject Tests or ACT scores for applications to be considered complete.* Should you feel your SAT, SAT Subject Test or ACT test scores are beneficial to your application, you may submit them for our consideration. The SAT institution code is 2521. The ACT code is 2828.

    *Homeschooled applicants must submit standardized test scores from the either the SAT or ACT or two SAT Subject Test results in lieu of the SAT or ACT.

    What factors play a role in an admission decision?

    The Admission Committee considers many factors when reviewing applications. We invite students to share with us their individuality, creativity, and intellectual promise through the application process. We value the strength of each student’s curriculum and their performance in each individual course taken. We pay very close attention to responses to the New School essay prompt as well as to the Common Application essay (not required but strongly recommended). We aim to learn about your writing skills as well as your interest in The New School and Lang in particular. We welcome additional writing samples should an applicant wish to further showcase their writing talent. Last, but certainly not least, we hold in high regard each applicant’s involvement outside of the classroom as well as their recommendations from counselors, teachers, and instructors as we consider who will be the best fit for our unique learning community.

    Can I submit an art portfolio or music audition?

    The Lang admission committee values the creativity and talent of our students. However, applicants to Lang are unable to audition or have their art portfolio reviewed as part of the admission process. Admitted students who are interested in the Dance program are encouraged to attend a placement audition which aids faculty in determining best fit level; it does not play a role in the admission process. The placement audition for students interested in the dance program will be held during Admitted Students Day. To learn more, please contact

    Do you offer interviews as a part of the admission process?

    We do not offer interviews as a part of our admission process. Admission counselors are available to meet with you either before or after your campus tour should you have any questions. Don’t forget, you can email or speak to an admission counselor over the phone as well, or even meet with us at your high school or at a college fair near you!

    English is not my native language. Do I need to take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE?

    All applicants whose first language is not English must submit valid TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores. Please review our application instructions for minimum score requirements, exemptions, and additional information.

    Are there special application requirements for homeschooled students?

    Homeschooled applicants are required to submit results of the SAT, ACT, or SAT Subject Tests in addition to their high school transcript. Homeschooled applicants must provide the equivalent of a high school transcript with course or subject titles, the duration of study for each title, the content of study for each title, and an assessment of performance or “grade.” Upon completion of the homeschool curriculum, students must provide proof of high school graduation or an equivalent. We will accept an official transcript from a state homeschool association or sponsoring public high school; GED, TASC, or HiSET exam results; individual homeschool transcripts with date of completion; and certificates of completion recognized by local homeschool associations.

    How can I tour campus or sit in on a class?

    We can’t wait to see you on campus soon! Find out everything you need to know to plan your visit to campus.

    Can I receive advanced standing for AP, IB, or college courses I took in high school?

    Please review our Advanced Standing Credit website for more information about having your college level work evaluated for either advanced standing or transfer credit.

    Do you offer application fee waivers?

    We do not want the application fee to discourage students from applying to The New School. Please contact us for more information regarding an application fee waiver.

  • Financial Aid Questions

    Learn what you need to know about financial aid for your application.

    What is the cost of attendance?

    The cost of attendance and detailed information about how to apply for financial aid can be found on the Student Financial Services website.

    How can I apply for a merit-based scholarship?

    All Lang applicants (including international students) who are offered admission are considered for scholarships on the basis of academic merit. There is no need to fill out a separate application for these scholarships, as we automatically evaluate students upon admittance.

    Do you offer financial aid?

    U.S. citizens and permanent residents who wish to receive need-based aid must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA determines students’ eligibility for federal and state grants, federal loans, and work study. We invite you to learn more about the process of applying for financial aid by visiting our Financial Aid website.