Declaring a Major

  • In addition to the requirements outlined in the program worksheets below, Lang has specific general requirements, including a minimum number of credits in liberal arts courses as well as college residency requirements. All students should read the general Degree Requirements and consult with an advisor each semester to ensure they are on track to graduate. 

    Every student who has earned 30 credits must declare a major by their fourth semester or no later than the beginning of their fifth semester (except transfer students entering with 60 credits, who may take one additional semester before declaring). Students must declare before the registration period for their junior year or risk a registration hold. As an exception, transfer students admitted with junior standing have a grace period of one semester to declare their area of study. Juniors may declare sooner if they feel certain of their decision. Transfer students who have earned fewer than 45 credits must fulfill all the requirements in effect at the time of their declaration. Transfer students who have earned 45 credits or more are allowed to fulfill either the requirements in effect at the time of declaration or the requirements in effect at the time they matriculated at Eugene Lang College. This only pertains to areas of study where the curriculum has changed during the time of enrollment. 

    To declare your major, log into, click on the Academics tab, then select the link to "Major/Minor Declarations." Be sure to consult an advisor about general degree requirements separate from your major requirements. Additional information about the curricular requirements for each area of study can be found online or by contacting your advisor. Students are permitted to change majors after consulting with their advisor, but any student contemplating a change of major must make sure they have time to complete the required courses in the new area of study. 

    The following rules apply to all defined areas of study:

    • Each area of study requires completion of at least 13 courses, including a senior capstone. Students must receive a grade of C or better in every course used to fulfill area of study requirements. NOTE: Some programs have other minimum requirements. Be sure to consult your faculty and academic advisors. A senior capstone linked to a student's area of study is counted as one of the required courses. For-credit internships can be counted toward area of study requirements (maximum of two; seek approval of the chair before registering). Students may be able to apply up to three courses taken in a study abroad or study away program toward their area of study requirements, subject to preliminary review by their academic advisor and final approval by the program chair on their return.
    • Students in the Lang/Parsons or Lang/Jazz combined BA/BFA degree program can apply a maximum of three courses from their BFA program toward their Lang area of study requirements.
    • Each student works out, in consultation with his or her advisor, a program of study that fulfills the area of study requirements and satisfies the student's academic interests.
    • For transfer credits and exceptions, the chair of each program has the authority to decide which courses fulfill area of study requirements and to permit exceptions to the published requirements. Students who transferred to Lang may be able to apply similar courses taken at other institutions to meet Lang area of study requirements, with approval from the program chair. A student admitted with 30 to 44 transfer credits can apply up to two courses with permission; a student with 45 to 60 transfer credits can apply up to three courses.
    • Any student who declares an area of study before accumulating 45 total credits must follow the requirements in effect at the time of the declaration. A student who declares an area of study after accumulating 45 or more credits has the choice of following either the requirements in effect at the time of declaration or the requirements in effect at the time of matriculation.

    Program Worksheets

    Use the program worksheet for your major to track your progress. You can find the worksheet for your major on the curricular page (e.g., Major, Concentration, etc.) of your area of study (see programs in Academics). Students who declared earlier than 2011 should see an academic advisor for degree requirements.