We continue to monitor and respond to the public health situation regarding COVID-19. Most buildings on our New York campus have closed until further notice. Check the Parsons Paris website for information about our Paris campus.
Learn More

  • Registration

    View the Academic Calendar for registration dates and deadlines (add, drop, and withdrawal), semester beginning and ending dates, and university holidays. Check the University Course Catalog for add/drop and withdrawal deadlines specific to courses, and consult with your advising office in regards to late-starting courses.

    Summer and Fall 2020 Registration

    Summer 2020 registration for degree students will begin on Monday, April 6, 2020, at 11:00 a.m. EDT (see below for specific dates under “Summer/Fall 2020 Registration”). Please check the University Course Catalog for add/drop deadlines.

    Fall 2020 registration for degree students will begin on Monday, April 6, 2020, at 11:00 a.m. EDT (see below for specific dates under “Summer and Fall 2020 Registration”). Registration for continuing degree students will be paused on Friday, June 12, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EDT and resume Monday, August 3, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. EDT. New student registration will start on June 22, 2020 (different programs begin at different times).

    Degree Students

    New degree students register over the summer for the fall term and in January for the spring term. Visit the New Student Information site for registration dates, procedures, and policies.

    Continuing degree students register through The New School's online registration system in April for the following fall term and in November for the following spring term.

    Most undergraduate students have a registration cap of 18 credits. Students may petition for an exception to this policy with their academic advisor if they have earned a cumulative New School GPA of 3.5 or higher or require an accommodation for timely graduation. Students in dual-degree programs, Voice majors, and Instrumental Performance majors may be allowed to register with a higher registration cap. Please speak with your academic advisor for additional information.

  • Check Your Account for Holds

    Check your holds to make sure that you don't have any that may prevent you from registering. For example, a hold may be placed on a student’s account blocking registration and release of transcripts if an outstanding financial obligation hasn’t been cleared with Student Accounts.

    Before you can register, you must resolve any registration holds with the office that initiated the hold.

    Questions About Your Schedule or Available Courses

    It is strongly recommended that, as a degree-seeking student, you meet with your academic advisor to discuss your intended schedule and progress toward your degree requirements. 

    A list of course offerings can be found on the University Course Catalog website.

    Register Online

    Degree students must log in through their MyNewSchool account in order to conduct any registration transactions, such as adds, drops, waitlists, or withdrawals.

    Auditing Courses

    To audit a course, you must obtain the appropriate advisor signatures on the course Add/Drop form and must register for the course in person at the Registrar's Office. You cannot register as an auditor through MyNewSchool. Audit fees are listed in the Tuition and Fee Schedule. You may not attend any course without being properly registered in that course. Note that auditing a course is NOT the same as maintaining status; if you are not taking any courses toward your degree in the coming semester, you must register for Maintain Status even if you are auditing a course.

    Maintenance of Status and Equivalency Credit

    Maintenance of Status

    Some schools require degree students to maintain continuous residency. Students who are neither registering to take courses for credit nor on approved leave of absence must register to maintain status. Typically, graduate students working on a thesis or dissertation must register for Maintenance of Status. Students must have permission to maintain status; their registration forms must be signed by the departmental advisor. There is a tuition charge for Maintenance of Status, and the student must pay the University Services Fee and any school fees as well. The Student Health Insurance premium and health services fee are automatically charged unless waived by the deadline. Most students registering to maintain status also register for equivalency credits.

    Equivalency Credit

    Equivalency credit is granted for approved activities other than courses that are part of a student's progress toward a degree — for example, researching for or writing a thesis, conducting fieldwork, undertaking foreign language study, or taking part in an exchange program. The purpose of registering for equivalency credits is to establish appropriate enrollment status in order to defer student loans, to qualify for TAP or other financial aid, or to comply with visa requirements. For example, a student working full-time on a doctoral dissertation and applying for TAP awards must register for 12 equivalency credits per semester. For graduate students, full-time status is defined as enrollment for nine degree credits per semester; half-time status is defined as enrollment for six degree credits per semester. Any graduate student actively working on non-course degree requirements who is not taking a full-time course load should register for equivalency credits. A student registering for equivalency credits must also register either for additional courses for credit or to maintain status. Note that equivalency credit is not granted for completing outstanding coursework, making up grades of Incomplete, or retaking courses. Registration for equivalency credits takes place during the normal registration period. Equivalency courses carry no fees.

    Summer/Fall 2020 Registration Dates

     LevelStudent Type Online Registration Access Start/End Date Registration Start Time 
     GraduateAll April 6-June 1211:00 a.m.
     UndergraduateBFA/BA (dual degree): All April 6-June 1211:00 a.m.
     UndergraduateEarned Credits: 90+ April 7-June 1211:00 a.m.
     UndergraduateEarned Credits: 60-89 April 8-June 1211:00 a.m.
     UndergraduateEarned Credits: 30-59 April 9-June 1211:00 a.m. 
     UndergraduateEarned Credits: 0-29 April 10-June 1211:00 a.m. 


    Students who cannot enroll for courses during the initial registration period because of religious observance will be offered alternative times to complete their registration. Students should contact their academic advisor for more information.

    Students who are registered with the office of Student Disability Services may be granted a medical accommodation that allows them to register at an alternative time. Students should contact Student Disability Services to discuss their eligibility for an alternative registration time.


    Add, Drop, and Withdrawal Deadlines

    Summer 2020 Add/Drop and Withdrawal Deadlines for Full Semester Courses

    Last day to add or drop: June 1
    Period to withdraw with a grade of W: June 2-July 26*

    *If you are an undergraduate student, July 26 is your last opportunity to withdraw from your full-term summer courses. If you are a graduate student and you wish to withdraw after July 26, please contact your academic advisor.

    Fall 2020 Add/Drop and Withdrawal Deadlines for Full-Semester Courses

    Last day to add or drop a full semester New York-based Fall course: September 14
    Period to withdraw with a grade of W from New York-based courses for the Fall: September 15 to November 22*

    Last day to add or drop a full semester Parsons Paris-based Fall course: September 13

    Period to withdraw with a grade of W from Parsons Paris-based courses for the Fall: September 14 to November 22*

    *If you are an undergraduate student, November 22 is your last opportunity to withdraw from your full-term fall courses. If you are a graduate student and you wish to withdraw after November 22, please contact your academic advisor.

    Add, drop, and withdrawal dates for late-starting courses may vary; please contact your academic advisor for more information. Holds will prevent you from withdrawing online. If you have a hold on your account and wish to withdraw, you will need to resolve your hold or submit an appeal. Before making a schedule change, be sure to speak with your academic advisor.

    The deadlines above apply only to full-term courses that start the first week of the semester and end in the last month of the semester. Add/drop dates may differ for courses that start late and/or end early. Please visit Tuition, Fees and Billing website for questions regarding refunds and/or tuition charges for courses that are being dropped or courses offered for any length of period other than a full semester.

    Add, Drop, and Withdrawal Policies

    Attending a class and/or completing course requirements alone is not the same as registration. You should attend classes only if you are officially registered, and you will receive credit only upon successful completion of a course for which you are registered. Similarly, just notifying the instructor that you will no longer attend does not constitute withdrawal. If you do not officially withdraw from the class and stop attending, you may be administratively withdrawn. A grade of W means you have withdrawn from a course without academic penalty. The course appears on your transcript with a grade of W and is counted toward attempted credits for the term. However, it does not factor into the term or cumulative GPA. Please refer to the add, drop, and withdrawal deadlines above for more information on withdrawing from a course with a grade of W. See also Grade Descriptions.

    The university reserves the right to administratively withdraw any students who are not actively attending all of their courses and who have not applied for a leave of absence. An administrative withdrawal is defined as withdrawal of a student from all registered courses and his, her, or their academic program. The university initiates an administrative withdrawal if a student ceases to attend ALL registered classes and ceases to communicate with college officials for a period of 14 consecutive calendar days at any point during the registered term. An administrative withdrawal may result in grades of W and will be subject to charges based on the university's refund policy. 

    If you would like to drop ALL of your courses, you must submit an Exit Form to take a leave of absence or to withdraw from the university or program. For more information, please speak with your academic advisor. 

    F-1 and J-1 international students are required to have authorization from ISSS to drop below full-time. For more information, please visit the ISSS website.

  • Important Information

    Billing, Refunds, and Financial Aid

    For questions regarding financial aid and/or federal work study, please contact Financial Aid at 212.229.8930 or finaid@newschool.edu, or visit the office at 72 Fifth Avenue, 2nd floor.

    For questions regarding billing, payment, tuition charges, and/or refunds, please contact Student Accounts (SA) at 212.229.8930 or myaccount@newschool.edu, or visit the office at 72 Fifth Avenue, 2nd floor.

    Exceptions to Registration Dates and Policies

    Petitions for exceptions to registration dates and policies are reviewed and evaluated by the University Appeals Committee. Petitions may be submitted through the University Appeals Committee.

    Prohibited Software and Registration Transaction Limit

    Please note that the use of any software product that artificially mimics the keystrokes and clicks necessary to register for classes is strictly prohibited.

    The use of such products or any action taken to misuse the registration system may cause your account to be locked. If your account is locked, you will need to contact an advisor to add or drop courses for the rest of the term.