• Transfer Students

  • Transfer Students Image
  • Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts welcomes new transfer students each spring and fall semester. We invite students with any previous college or university experience to submit an application. Please visit the How To Apply page for complete instructions. 

    Applying as a Transfer Student

    Transfer students are students who have graduated from high school or earned a high school equivalent and are in the process of completing, or have completed, college or university coursework after high school graduation. If you are unsure whether to apply as a first-year applicant or a transfer applicant, please email lang@newschool.edu.

    Transfer applicants who have completed fewer than 24 college credits (on a semester system) are required to submit high school transcripts in addition to college transcripts.

    All applicants must list each college or university attended, both during and after high school, on the Common Application. Applicants must submit official transcripts from each college or university attended.

    Students who have attended an international university are required to submit original official transcripts as well as a course-by-course evaluation (and translation, if applicable) from World Education Services (or another official evaluation service). Please visit the How To Apply page for specific submission requirements.

    Awarding of Transfer Credits

    Transfer credit is awarded for completed coursework. Students are eligible to transfer up to 60 credits toward their degree at Lang. Transfer students who wish to study abroad during their time at Lang should consult with their advisor and the Lang Study Abroad Office to determine whether courses taken while studying abroad will be applied to time in residence.

    To receive credit, students must complete courses similar to courses offered at The New School with a grade of C or better (C- does not transfer); pass/fail courses and those that are not graded will be considered for credit if accompanied by proof of a C (not C-) grade or better. Credits received for vocational or pre-professional courses (such as nursing, home economics, and health education) are not transferable. Only coursework completed within the last ten years can be considered for transfer credit.

    Students who pursue a Bachelor of Arts degree may not transfer more than 30 credits in non-liberal arts courses (defined as business management, studio, and practice-based courses). Students who wish to transfer more than 30 non-liberal arts credits are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to discuss the possibility of pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree.

    Students who are offered admission will receive an estimated number of transfer credits in their official decision letter. In-progress coursework will not be included in this estimate. Admitted students will receive a course-by-course Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) via email within three business days of receiving their offer of admission.

    Tau Sigma National Honor Society

    Tau Sigma is an academic honor society designed to recognize and promote academic excellence in and involvement of transfer students. Membership is based on the following criteria: Students must have completed the equivalent of at least one full year of academic coursework at their previous institution and be full-time students enrolled in at least 12 credits with a GPA of 3.5 or higher during their first term at The New School.

  • Take the Next Step

  • Related Links

  • Contact Us

    Office of Admission
    Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts 

    79 Fifth Avenue, 5th floor 
    New York, NY 10003 
    Phone: 212.229.5150 or 
    Fax: 212.229.5355

  • Virtual Tour

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.