• Student Veteran Services
  • A designated Military Friendly® ​School for 2019-2020, The New School has a long history of welcoming veterans to its various courses and degree programs, recognizing in their unique life experience an exceptional potential only those who have served can claim. This tradition continues with the Student Veteran Services office, which provides guidance to all veterans and dependents from admission to graduation and beyond. Student Veteran Services (SVS) works to ensure that you are getting the support you need to transition smoothly into an academic setting and civilian life. Through individualized resources and in-person social and educational programming, SVS creates a student veteran community that supports you in identifying and achieving your goals.

    Degree Opportunities

    The Bachelor’s Program for Adults and Transfer Students (BPATS) was founded in 1943 to serve veterans returning from World World II and is designed to meet the needs of adult students who are seeking freedom, flexibility, and an individualized experience as they complete their degree. It is also the only undergraduate program at The New School that has a Prior Learning Assessment program, which gives students the opportunity to seek transfer credit for college-level learning attained through work experience, life experience, military experience, and artistic pursuits.

    Veterans and their dependents with the appropriate academic credentials are eligible to apply to any undergraduate and graduate program across the New School’s five colleges in addition to the BPATS program. For more information on particular majors and degree programs offered within each of the colleges, please visit their websites:

    College of Performing Arts

    Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts

    The New School for Social Research

    Parsons School of Design

    Schools of Public Engagement

    To learn how to apply to any of our degree programs, visit the Admission website.

    Continuing Education

    Students who are interested in enrolling in certificate programs or noncredit courses through Open Campus should contact the coordinator of Student Veteran Services.

    Learn More

    Register for one of our webinars to learn more about military benefits (including the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon funding), the VA certification process, and support services for veteran students, as well as the academic opportunities available at The New School.

    Tuesday, April 11, 4:00 p.m.
    Friday, April 26, 12:00 noon

  • Contact Us

    Rob Rahni
    63 Fifth Avenue, room 414
    New York, NY 10003

    212.229.5600 x2280



  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.