We continue to monitor and respond to the public health situation regarding COVID-19. Most buildings on our New York campus have closed until further notice. Check the Parsons Paris website for information about our Paris campus.
Learn More

  • FAQ

    Below you will find the most frequently asked questions, organized by topic.

  • Mail Services

    Mail Delivery

    10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
    Union Square and Greenwich Village Area Building Locations
    2 West 13th Street
    26 East 14th Street
    55 West 13th Street
    64 West 11th Street
    65 West 11th Street
    66 West 12th Street
    66 Fifth Avenue
    68 Fifth Avenue
    71 Fifth Avenue
    72 Fifth Avenue
    79 Fifth Avenue/6 East 16th Street
    80 Fifth Avenue

    90 Fifth Avenue


    Bank Street 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.

    151 Bank Street


    University Center

    65 Fifth Ave



    I have a package to send out. What are my options?

    The choice between the several options (Chick Chack, FedEx, UPS, USPS) depends upon the time sensitivity of the package in question. For urgent local, same-day service, Mail Services uses Chick Chack Messenger Service at 212.244.8577. For overnight service, FedEx has the best service available (Priority - next morning, Standard overnight, Economy 2-Day, and 3-day service), for which The New School has a daily 4:00 p.m. pickup in Mail Services at 55 West 13th Street, lower level. For less urgent deliveries and packages going to a P.O. box, the USPS offers Express Mail (overnight), Priority Mail, and Parcel Post. Please call Mail Services for rates and additional information.

    Are there any special details for sending via UPS or FedEx?

    A package for shipping via UPS must be securely packaged and sealed, preferably with heavy-duty packing tape. The package must be clearly labeled with the sender's name and address at The New School and the destination address (no P.O. boxes). It must have the department's FOAP number for chargeback. Marking the package "UPS" is recommended. For FedEx, an Airbill must be filled out and attached to the package. Extra details, such as required date of arrival and insurance requested, should be included in a memo firmly attached. The Worktag must be provided in the reference field.

    Can UPS or FedEx deliver to a P.O. box?

    UPS and FedEx are privately owned couriers, and cannot deliver to P.O. boxes. Please use the USPS for P.O. box addresses.

    How much will my UPS or FedEx shipment costs to send?

    Shipping charges for packages will be provided upon request. Please call Mail Services with date of shipment, delivery address and tracking/Airbill number.

    Can my shipment be tracked?

    Yes. Mail Services keeps a record of your shipment on our computerized online system. We can track your package electronically and provide delivery confirmation upon request.

    We have a UPS package that has to go back to the vendor, what's the procedure?

    Your department must contact the vendor to request a UPS Call Tag for UPS to pick up the package free of charge. If the vendor does not issue a Call Tag but provides a RMA return label, your department must pay the UPS shipping charges.

    When do packages arrive at the New School?

    Overnight packages from UPS and FedEx arrive between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m.; a large general UPS delivery takes place between approximately 12:15 and 12:45 p.m. These deliveries cover all schools of The New School. Mail Services records and dispatches incoming boxes and large packages to Facilities for delivery. Smaller packages are sent via the regular mail run. Trucking deliveries may occasionally arrive throughout the day. There is one main mail delivery by the Post Office in the morning between 10:00 and 10:30 a.m.

    How can I find out if a package has arrived?

    Contact Mail Services with the name of the sender and the party to whom it's addressed, or the tracking number if possible.

    I need to track a package delivered to the New School about a month ago. Can this be done?

    Yes. Please provide the name of the sender or company of origin, the intended recipient, a description of the package, and, if available, the courier and tracking number. Mail Services records all packages for which the department is accountable in its database.

    Can I receive a personal package at The New School?

    No. Mail Services will not be liable for any personal packages received at the university's mailroom, and will not deliver any personal packages.

  • Digital Mailroom

    Why are we sending invoices to the Digital Mailroom?

    EDMAmericas is our third-party supplier, located in Scranton, Pennsylvania, which is receiving invoices, digitizing the scanned copy and key data elements, and communicating them to our system. Invoices should be sent only once using one of the following methods:

    Mailing Address

    SciQuest- The New School
    PO Box 3087
    Scranton, PA 18505




    tnsaccountspayable@edmamericas.com is an external email and should not be copied on any other correspondence.

    What should I send to the Digital Mailroom?

    Send invoices only. You can simply sign and FOAP the invoice before sending.

    What should I not send to the Digital Mailroom?

    Independent Contractor forms continue to submit using the current IC process at iccompliance@newschool.edu

    Employee Expense Reports should be submitted via Concur.

    The following two forms can now be submitted electronically via My New Source, The New School's new eProcurement solution:

    • Check Disbursement/Payment Request forms
    • Honorarium and Guest Lecturer forms

    Please contact Gay Florio, director of Procurement and Expense Systems, for access at x3881 or floriog@newschool.edu.

    Can I scan a stack of invoices?

    Yes. Please ensure that the invoices are arranged so that they are easily distinguished from one another. A blank page separator is suggested for multipage invoices or invoices with multipage backup documents. Please do not use a cover sheet as an approval form for multiple invoices. Each invoice should have its own signature and FOAP indicated on it.

    Please Note: There is an approximately three-day turnaround from the time an invoice is received by EDMAmericas to the time when it's posted in our system. Payment processing by Accounts Payable may take additional time. The New School payment terms of net 30 days will be applied to the invoices for most vendors.

  • Dining and Catering

    Can the caterer use the kitchen?

    Because of capacity and health code requirements, we cannot grant external parties access to our university kitchens or other university food preparation facilities.

    Do I need to perform my own setup and cleanup?

    Vendors are not responsible for room configuration, trash receptacles and removal, general cleanliness, and other maintenance-related matters. Please request these services through the Facilities Department's Netfacilities work order system.

    Delivery and setup options vary by vendor and are contingent on the details of each individual order. Clearly communicate all needs and requirements to the vendor to ensure the necessary levels of service for your event.

    Can I use a caterer not listed as a preferred vendor?

    You are welcome to use a caterer/vendor who is not listed as a preferred vendor. Please note that transactions are still subject to university guidelines on procurement and expenses.

  • Purchasing

    Where should I direct my Procurement inquiries?

    If you have any questions or comments relating to Procurement, please contact the Procurement Department at eprocurement@newschool.edu or x3733.

    Where should I direct My New Source inquiries?

    If you have any questions or comments relating to My New Source, please contact the E-Procurement Team at eprocurement@newschool.edu or x3881.

    Is there training available for My New Source?

    Training for My New Source is held on Tuesdays from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. Please contact eprocurement@newschool.edu to schedule attendance or to request a separate training date.

  • Accounts Payable

    Does Accounts Payable issue checks for all reimbursements?

    Employee reimbursement requests below $50 should be submitted in person (with photo ID) to the petty cash window near the cashier's office, located at 65 Fifth Avenue, ground floor. All reimbursement requests for employees must be submitted on our  Employee Advance and Reconciliation Form (PDF).

    Will Accounts Payable reimburse me for all of my business expenses?

    Employees will be reimbursed for legitimate business expenses only after obtaining the appropriate authorized approvals. At no time will employees be reimbursed for non-university expenses.

    Taxes will not be reimbursed on expense forms for any individual item that exceeds $100. Such items should be purchased using university-approved methods such as the Purchase Order System or the Purchasing Card Solution.

    What if I have submitted an approved invoice to Accounts Payable and the vendor claims that it has not received the check?

    Check your budget in Banner to see if the invoice was processed in Accounts Payable. If it has been processed, allow five business days from the posting date for the check to be sent out. If it is not posted, or the five-day period has elapsed, please contact the appropriate Accounts Payable Associate with all pertinent information, such as vendor/payee name, invoice number, dollar amount, contact person, and phone number.

    Do Accounts Payable staff handle payroll checks or student stipend checks?

    No. Payroll issues both payroll and student stipend checks.

    What should I do if I submitted an invoice with the wrong FOAP numbers?

    Check the Banner system to see if the invoice has been processed as submitted. If it was put through the system and the transaction date on the General Ledger is more than four days old, you must process a re-class (Excel). If it is less than four days old, go to step b. If the invoice in question has been submitted to Accounts Payable but has not been paid, contact the appropriate Accounts Payable Associate so that the coding can be corrected before a check is issued.

    Can Accounts Payable make ACH or wire transfer payments?

    Yes. Accounts Payable can make these types of payments; however, the cost of international wires will be billed back to the requesting department.

    Does Accounts Payable handle hotel reservations and car rental?

    No. Please consult the Finance and Business Travel page.

    Does Accounts Payable purchase office supplies?

    No. Office supplies are handled by Procurement.

    My department wants to hire an independent contractor to perform services for the university. Can the department hire the contractor and submit and invoice upon completion of the work?

    No. The IRS views all persons providing services to a company as employees unless proven otherwise. Incorrectly classifying persons as independent contractors is a liability for the university. As a result, an individual's status as an "independent contractor" must be approved by the Office of Accounts Payable prior to the start of work. The determination will be based on the objective facts in each case.

    If, however, the person is performing one of the predefined services listed on the Request for Independent Services Form (PDF) such as Guest Lecturer, Substitute Teacher, Panelist, Performer, Critic or Judge, no Accounts Payable pre-authorization is required.

    Additionally, licensed individuals providing medical, legal, or architectural services to the university do not need pre-approval by Accounts Payable for independent contractor status.

  • Tax Compliance

    Is the New School tax-exempt?

    Yes. The New School is a tax-exempt organization as specified under IRC Section 501(c)(3) and, as such, complies with corresponding federal, state and local regulations.  


    What is Form 990?

    The 990 Form is filed annually by tax-exempt organizations to provide the IRS with information required by IRC Section 6033.

    The 990-T Form is a tax return form used by tax-exempt organizations to report unrelated business income and determine unrelated business income tax liability for payment.