The summer 2023 ESL+ program will start on Monday, June 5, and end on Thursday, August 10, 2023. The fall program will take place from September 11 through December 5, 2023. The format of the ESL+ program will be in person in NYC.
This flexible pre-enrollment program is for international students who plan to enroll in an academic degree program in the United States but need to improve their English language skills in order to be admitted to their intended course of study.
The ESL + University Preparation Certificate program (ESL + University Prep) is designed to prepare students for success in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at The New School or another U.S. institution. The program is customized for each student's
degree objective and area of study. Students take a structured set of intensive academic English classes—reading, writing, listening and speaking, and grammar. In addition, students at the advanced level have the option to engage in subject-related language training and activities.
The New School is located in the heart of New York City's Greenwich Village, one of the world's most vibrant and diverse communities. The city is an important part of the educational experience of our students, who will someday be global leaders in their
Program Features and Benefits
- Intensive English language study at The New School in New York City, a university with highly regarded programs in English language learning and teaching
- Flexible registration dates (start in the fall, spring, or summer term)
- Flexible duration (one to four academic semesters, approximately three months to two years)
- F-1 student visa eligibility for students enrolled full-time in the program
- Access to services and academic resources including health services, New School events, library and computing services, and English language tutoring
- Eligibility to live in university housing and access to many other services and academic resources of the university (housing applications and fees are separate from the program's application and fees)
At the advanced level, students can choose to participate in activities related to their intended field of academic study. Examples of these activities are:
- Sitting in on a class session in the student's target program of study, offering the student a chance to preview content areas and teaching approaches
- Shadowing a current student in the target degree program for a day
- Working with a faculty advisor to develop language-support materials related to the target field of study
- Participating in public and internal events in the target field of study
All members of our English language faculty are trained and certified professional teachers of English to speakers of other languages. Many are published in the field of language education. Some are credited with developing innovative teaching methods
To apply to the ESL + University Prep Certificate program, complete the online application form. All ESL students must contact the Department of English Language Studies for placement
advising before they can register for courses. The program can be taken full-time (18 hours per week for 12 weeks) or part-time. Accepted students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents will receive information about applying for a visa
to study in the United States as part of their letter of acceptance.