We continue to monitor and respond to the public health situation regarding COVID-19. Most buildings on our New York campus have closed until further notice. Check the Parsons Paris website for information about our Paris campus.
Learn More

  • Policies and Procedures

    All students are responsible for knowing and understanding the academic policies of the university and their particular academic program, including deadlines, attendance, curriculum requirements, acceptable grades, and academic honesty.

  • Spring 2020 Double A Policy (A/A-)

    View the Revised Spring 2020 Double A Grading Policy (A/A-)


    What does it mean to be graded based on the Double A Grading Policy?

    For the Spring 2020 term only, students will be eligible for A or A- if they complete the requirements of the course. 

      What effect will this policy have on my GPA?

      Normal letter grades, A through F, carry variable quality points; quality points are the basis for the term and cumulative GPA calculations. Therefore, A and A- grades will continue to carry the normal quality points when calculating the term and cumulative GPA.

      What effect does the Double A policy have on my earned credits?

      There are no changes to how A or A- grades will be counted as earned. These grades count as both attempted and earned credits.  

      I am completing my degree this semester. Will this new policy impact my ability to graduate?

      No, it should have no change to the normal process of having your audit reviewed for graduation. However, you must still meet all of your degree requirements before you are conferred.

      Will I need to take any action to opt-in to this new policy?

      No. Instructors will see the revised grading options based on this policy when they go to grade courses. Students should remain focused on their courses.

      Will this change be noted on my transcript?

      No. The transcript legend/key includes the grade scales of the university over time. There are Spring 2020 courses that ended and previously graded prior to changes related to COVD-19.  As such, the grade scale for the purposes of the transcript will remain as is. The academic catalog will be updated to include this policy change.

      What grade will I receive if I am unable to complete the requirements of my course?

      First, it is strongly recommended that any student struggling to complete the term, for whatever reason, meet with their instructor and Academic Advisor immediately to discuss their issues and options. Students who are unsure that they can complete the requirements of their course by the end of the term can discuss with their instructor the possibility of receiving a grade of “Incomplete” or choose to withdraw from the course. Please note that "incomplete" grades are not available during the spring 2020 semester, per the Revised A/A- Grading Policy. We recommend that you speak to your advisor before withdrawing, as it may affect your financial aid or immigration status.


      Find your grades. Track them across semesters as they are posted. Understand and calculate your Grade point average.

      Grades are recorded for all students registered in a course for credit or a noncredit certificate. You can access your grade reports and transcript online.

      If you need an official copy of your grades for the current term, you can file the request form available through my.newschool.edu.

      How to View Your Grades

      • Submit your online course evaluation for each course (or opt out) as soon as you receive the email notice requesting your evaluation.
      • You can view your grades online. If your grade was posted by the instructor, you should be able to see it within two hours after you respond to the course evaluation request. You can also view your grades using the New School mobile app.
      • If your grade report shows a blank, the grade has not yet been submitted by the instructor.
      • If you do not submit a course evaluation (or formally opt out), your grades will not be visible until after the official close of the course evaluation period at the end of the academic term. Until that time, View Your Grades will display the grade as IP.

      If a Grade Is Not Posted for a Course
      Instructors are expected to post grades within one week after the course end date as published in the academic calendar. If the grade for a course is not posted by this deadline, contact the instructor as soon as possible. If necessary, contact your faculty advisor.

      Computing Grade Point Average
      Semester Grade Point Average (GPA) is computed at the end of each academic term by multiplying the number of credits earned in each course by the numerical value associated with the grade received in that course. The grade points for all your courses are totaled, and the total is divided by the number of graded credits attempted, including failed courses if any. Please note that Spring 2020 grades will count toward your GPA, per the Revised Double A Grading Policy (A/A-).

      Cumulative GPA is computed by dividing the total number of grade points earned to date (quality points) by the total number of graded credits attempted. Credits transferred from other institutions are not included in GPA because only credit points (not grades) are transferred. 

      Numerical Value of Letter Grades for GPA Computation

      Letter GradePoint Value
      A -3.7
      B +3.3
      B -2.7
      C +2.3
      C -1.7
      D (undergrad only)1.0

      Grades Not Included in GPA
      W = Withdraw (no academic penalty)
      I = Temporary Incomplete
      N = Permanent Incomplete
      P = Pass (credits count toward degree)
      U = Unsatisfactory (credits not counted toward degree)
      Z = Unofficial Withdrawal
      AP = Approved (noncredit certificate)
      NA = Not Approved (noncredit certificate)
      GM = Grade Not Reported

      Grades Not Reported, Incompletes, and Pass/Unsatisfactory
      Unreported grades convert to a GM one week after the course end date as published in the academic calendar.

      I grades will not be assigned in Spring 2020. In other semesters, a grade of I will be assigned only if a student has filed a request for an incomplete with the instructor and the instructor approves the grade. Unless the instructor submits a regular letter grade within the period of time required by the student's academic program, a grade of I or GM will automatically convert to F or N as described below.

      For undergraduate students, grades of I and GM convert to F at the end of the seventh week of the spring semester for fall courses and at the end of the seventh week of the following fall semester for spring and summer courses. Please note that these grades will not be 

      For graduate students, grades of I and GM for graduate students convert to N one year after the end date of the course. PhD students at The New School for Social Research should consult their school's catalog for additional policy information about grades of Incomplete. Graduate students who are permitted to retake a class to make up a grade of Incomplete must register for the course and pay tuition as an auditor.

      Pass/Unsatisfactory Option for Undergraduate Students:

      • Students may not elect a Pass/Unsatisfactory option for core requirements or courses necessary to satisfy major and/or minor requirements, except in the case of the first course completed toward a major if taken before that major is declared.
      • Through the seventh week of a semester, a student may elect up to one course per semester to be graded Pass/Unsatisfactory, based on receiving a grade of D or higher to Pass. No changes may be made to grade modes past the seventh week of the semester.
      • This policy excludes courses in which Pass/Unsatisfactory is the only grade option available, such as internships.
      • The instructor will not be informed when a student has chosen this option and will assign a conventional letter grade, which will then be converted by the Registrar's Office to Pass/Unsatisfactory as appropriate.
      • Students may only elect to complete a maximum of 12 credits for Pass/Unsatisfactory. Individual programs may set a maximum different from the 12 credits because of curricular requirements. An advisor must approve a petition for a Pass/Unsatisfactory grade.

      Change of Grade
      Final grades are subject to revision by the instructor. For undergraduate students, grades of I can be changed until the end of the seventh week of the semester following the one in which the course was taken. For graduate students, grade changes can be made up to one year following the official end date of the course. After the designated deadline, or if a degree has been conferred, the grade recorded in the Registrar's Office becomes a permanent part of the student's academic record, and no changes are allowed.

      Students who are petitioning to graduate must turn in any incomplete work before the following degree conferral dates:

      • Fall­ - January 31
      • Spring - Third Friday of May
      • Summer - August 31

      Grade Appeal
      A student can petition for academic review of a grade by following the procedure outlined below within 60 days from the date the grade was posted or within 30 days if the student has petitioned to graduate. Before appealing for a change of grade, you should first ask the instructor to explain his or her reasons for assigning the grade. If you are not satisfied with the explanation, you can appeal the grade as follows:

      • Write a letter to the faculty member stating clearly your objection to the grade received and requesting a different grade. Copy your letter to the department chair or director, or, if the faculty member is also the department director, to the dean or school's director.
      • The instructor must return a written response to your letter within one month of receipt, likewise copied to the department chair or director or the school's dean or director.
      • If you are not satisfied with the faculty member's response, you can appeal further by writing to the school's dean or director, who will designate another member of the administration or faculty to review your and the instructor's previous communications.
      • The person designated will convene an appeals committee to investigate your outstanding differences and make a recommendation to the dean or director. The dean or director will make a final decision about the grade.

      Repeating a Course
      With approval, graduate students who receive grades of B- or below and undergraduate students who receive grades of F or Z (except where the F grade is due to academic dishonesty) are eligible to retake the courses in question and have the original grade removed from the cumulative GPA. Approval will be granted for this up to three times during a single degree program. The initial grade will continue to appear on the transcript but will drop out of the cumulative GPA; the grade earned the second time will be used to compute the GPA. Retaken courses will not count twice toward fulfillment of graduation requirements nor for student loan or New York Tuition Assistance Program certification. Students who wish to retake a course should contact their advising office before they register to learn the proper procedure.

      Academic Standing

      For the Spring 2020 semester only, The New School is changing its Academic Standing Policy. Please review to see changes to academic standing consequences. 


      Regular Academic Standing Policies

      Refer to your school's catalog for school-specific policies relating to academic standing. Students are responsible for meeting all department and program academic requirements to remain in good standing.

      Undergraduate Students

      Matriculated undergraduate students must maintain a term and cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 to remain in good standing. Any student whose term GPA and/or cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 will be placed on academic probation, and if GPA remains below 2.0 for two consecutive semesters, the student will be dismissed. Any undergraduate whose term GPA falls below 1.0 will be dismissed.

      Refer to your school's academic catalog for more information about academic standing.

      Graduate Students

      Matriculated graduate students must maintain a term and cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 to remain in good academic standing. Any student whose term GPA and/or cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 will be placed on academic probation. If term and/or cumulative GPA remains lower than 3.0 for two consecutive semesters. the student will be dismissed.

      Any graduate student who fails to complete one-half of accumulated attempted credits over two consecutive semesters will be placed on probation and may not be permitted to register for courses and/or equivalency credits in the following semester.

      Students can refer to their school's academic catalog for more information about academic standing.

      Dean's List

      Full-time undergraduates who earn a term GPA of 3.7 or higher are placed on the Dean's List for their school, an honor that is noted on the student's transcript. The Dean's List is published on February 1 for the previous fall term and July 1 for the previous spring term. (There is no Dean's List for the summer term.) Click here to view your transcript to see if you have made the Dean's List.

      Class Rank

      The New School does not rank the members of a graduating class.

      Academic Probation and Dismissal

      Any student whose grades fall below the standards defined to remain in good academic standing (term and cumulative GPA of 2.0 for an undergraduate and 3.0 for a graduate student) may be subject to dismissal. Academic dismissal occurs only after a student has been warned by being placed on probation, except that an undergraduate student whose term GPA is less than 1.0 is dismissed automatically.

      A student who is dismissed based on fall semester grades must be notified before the next spring semester classes begin. If the decision to dismiss is delivered after spring term classes begin, the student must be allowed to attend classes on probation for the spring term.

      A dismissed student who later wishes to return to the same program must apply for readmission.

      Dismissal Appeal

      A student who receives notice of dismissal may petition the dean or director of his or her school to reverse the decision by filing a formal appeal. The appeal must be presented in writing, with supporting documentation, within two weeks of receiving the dismissal notice.

      Appeals must contain the following information:

      • The student's explanation for poor performance and/or failure to complete required coursework.
      • A description of the student's plans to improve academic performance and/or to complete outstanding work.
      • Any other relevant information pertaining to the student's academic accomplishments or potential.

      Students can expect to hear the results of an appeal within two to four weeks of submission. The decision of the dean's office is final.

      Leave of Absence

      Students in good academic standing who feel they need to leave their program for a period of time for personal reasons should meet with their academic advisor before submitting the official online Exit Form in the Academics tab in MyNewSchool. Incomplete Exit Forms will not be processed by the Registrar's Office. Requests for a retroactive leave of absence from a prior term will be considered by the University Appeals Committee.

      Most programs will grant a leave of absence for one semester or a school year. Some programs require that a leave be taken for an entire school year because of the need to maintain a class cohort curriculum. Students may be required to apply for readmission if they stopped attending and did not complete the official Exit Form or were approved for a leave of absence but did not return to the university within the approved time frame.

      Your final date of enrollment will be determined by the university Registrar’s Office. This date may be when you submitted the form, your last date of academic engagement, or, under certain exceptional circumstances, the date given in a verbal communication of intent to withdraw with one of the following designated offices: ISSS, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Dean of Students, and the Registrar’s Office. Leaves of absence for medical reasons require appropriate documentation. Students taking a leave for health reasons must contact Student Health Services after completing the Exit Form if they are enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan and wish to remain enrolled while on health leave. To return from a leave taken for medical reasons, a student must submit follow-up documentation indicating that they are able to resume study. Upon receipt of this documentation, the Office of Student Support and Crisis Management will make a decision as to the student's eligibility to return. A registration hold will be in effect until the student receives clearance to return. If unable to return to study as planned, students must contact their academic advisor immediately to request an extension of their leave.

      Recipients of student loans should note that a leave of absence constitutes a break in their program of study, resulting in loss of their loan repayment grace period and/or eligibility for repayment deferment. They should consult Financial Aid before filing the Exit Form. International students on F-1 and J-1 visas normally fall out of status and must leave the United States during a leave of absence. They should consult International Student and Scholar Services before filing the Exit Form.

      University drop and withdrawal deadlines will be applied to students' academic records when a leave of absence is taken. Refunds are calculated in accordance with the university refund schedule.

      Withdrawing from a Program or the University

      A student who wishes to withdraw from an academic program without completing the course requirements should meet with their Academic Advisor before submitting the official online Exit Form in the Academics tab in MyNewSchool. Incomplete Exit Forms will not be processed by the Registrar's Office. Leaving school without filing the Exit Form is not advisable for academic and financial reasons. A student who withdraws and subsequently wishes to return must apply for readmission. Your final date of enrollment will be determined by the university Registrar’s Office. This date may be when you submitted the form, your last date of academic engagement, or, under certain exceptional circumstances, the date given in a verbal communication of intent to withdraw with one of the following designated offices: ISSS, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Dean of Students, and the Registrar’s Office. 

      University drop and withdrawal deadlines will be applied to the academic records of students withdrawing from a program or the university. Refunds are calculated in accordance with the university refund schedule.

      Administrative Withdrawals

      The university reserves the right to administratively withdraw any students who are not actively attending all of their courses and who have not applied for a leave of absence. An administrative withdrawal is defined as withdrawing a student from all registered courses and his, her, or their academic program. The university initiates an administrative withdrawal if a student ceases to attend ALL registered classes and ceases to communicate with college officials at any point during the registered term. An administrative withdrawal may result in grades of W and will be subject to charges based on the university's refund policy. An administratively withdrawn student's final date of enrollment will be determined by the university Registrar’s Office.

      If you would like to drop ALL of your courses, you must submit an Exit Form to take a leave of absence or withdraw from the university or program. For more information, please speak with your academic advisor.