We continue to monitor and respond to the public health situation regarding COVID-19. Most buildings on our New York campus have closed until further notice. Check the Parsons Paris website for information about our Paris campus.
Learn More

  • Graduation Requirements

    The New School confers degrees three times a year, in December, May, and August. To be eligible to graduate, you must complete all the requirements for your specific degree.

  • Academic Requirements

    You need to complete all degree requirements, as specified in the academic catalog of your school, before your planned graduation date in order for your degree to be conferred. In addition, to receive an undergraduate degree, you must complete all requirements with a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA. To receive a graduate degree, you must attain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. Some doctoral programs require a cumulative GPA higher than 3.0.

    Review Your Academic Progress in DegreeWorks

    DegreeWorks is an online tool that shows you which degree requirements you have completed and which remain to be met. You can find the link to DegreeWorks in my.newschool.edu under the Academics tab. To learn more, take the DegreeWorks Tutorial.

    Applying to Graduate

    Degree-seeking students must apply for graduation one term prior to their expected graduation date. The application for graduation is available through My New School under the Academics tab.

    The only way to be on the list for consideration for graduation is to apply. Students who fail to apply forfeit their right to have their degree conferred in the term when applications are closed; they may apply for the next available application term.

    If circumstances change and a student is no longer on target to complete for the term for which he or she applied, the student should immediately notify his or her advisor in writing. The advisor will communicate this change of events to the Registrar, who will remove the now incorrect application. After the application has been removed, the student will then be free to apply for the new term.

    If you forget whether you've applied or can't remember for which term you've applied, view your current applications by going to my.newschool.edu and checking your Dashboard. If you do not see any information related to graduation on your Dashboard, that means you have not applied yet.

    If you have questions about your degree progress or applying for your degree, please consult with your advisor.

      Noncredit certificate students are still required to submit a petition. Download the Certificate Petition Form (PDF) and submit it before the end of the semester.

      Graduate Degree Completion Term Limits

      If you are pursuing a graduate degree, you should complete your requirements within these time limits:

      • Master's degrees: five years
      • Doctor of Philosophy
        • Milano School: eight years
        • The New School for Social Research (except Clinical Psychology): ten years
        • Clinical Psychology: 12 years

      If you do not complete your program within the time limit, you must request and receive an extension in order to register again. An extension of the time petition should be filed with your department chair. Your petition should specify the degree requirements you have completed so far and propose a specific plan for completing the remaining work. If your petition is approved, you will then need to complete all remaining degree requirements by the date approved; otherwise, you will be dismissed from the program. If the extension of time is not approved, you will be dismissed from the program immediately.

      Graduation Honors

      Academic honors are awarded to graduates who meet the following criteria:

      • Bachelor's degree: 3.7 cumulative GPA and completion of at least 60 credits in residence
      • Associate's degree: 3.7 cumulative GPA and completion of at least 34 credits in residence

      Academic honors are noted on diplomas and transcripts. For graduates from Parsons and Lang, departmental honors are also noted on diplomas and transcripts.

      Academic honors are awarded only to recipients of undergraduate degrees.


      Diplomas are mailed by January 31 for fall graduates, June 30 for spring graduates, and September 30 for summer graduates. International students should allow an additional four to six weeks for delivery.

      Keep Your Official Mailing Address Up-to-Date

      If you are planning to graduate, please update your official mailing address in my.newschool.edu by the deadline: December 31 for fall graduates, May 31 for spring graduates, or August 31 for summer graduates.

      Replacement Diplomas

      If you have lost your original diploma and need a replacement, complete the form for a Replacement Diploma and Certificate (PDF). Replacement diplomas are marked as "Reissued." If you wish to have your diploma sent by FedEx, we can do so at your expense through our express mail service eShipGlobal. To request this service, please contact us.

      CeCredential (CeDiploma/CeCertificate)

      The New School now automatically provides Certified Electronic Credentials (also known as CeDiplomas or CeCertificates), starting with summer 2018 graduates. More information on the CeCredential can be found here.

      If you graduated prior to August 2018 and would like to purchase a CeCredential, please complete the Request for Replacement Diploma/Certificate and Certified Electronic Diploma form.


      Diplomas, whether print or electronic, will not be issued to students with holds on their record. Holds must be cleared before a diploma can be released. To view your holds, click here. Please contact the office that has placed the hold to resolve it.