Over the course of the four-year program, students complete coursework in the following areas of study. Please see the academic catalog for the current detailed program curriculum.
- Private lessons
- Techniques of Music (music theory, ear training, dictation, piano)
- Small and large ensembles
- Performance courses and electives
- Guided electives (courses in arranging, composition, entrepreneurship, improvisation, pedagogy, technology)
- Liberal arts courses (music history in context, electives at The New School)
Students also engage in a series of cross-disciplinary courses through the CoPA Core program, which includes a combination of required and elective courses that all undergraduate students at the College of Performing Arts participate in. These courses explore themes including Improvisation & Collaboration, The Whole Human Artist, Socially Engaged Artistry, and Tech & Experimentation.