Public Engagement

  • Admission Events


  • How do I apply for admission to the PhD program?

    Write a statement of purpose (1,500 words maximum) that describes your academic and professional interests and goals; explains why you want to pursue a doctorate; and tells us why the Milano School's PhD in Public and Urban policy is a good fit for you. This essay should discuss the kind of research you intend to pursue as a student and explain why this work is important for what you expect to do after completing the degree. Please include a frank self-assessment of your work as a scholar, with references to your written work. You are encouraged to discuss the importance of your work experience for your academic and career plans, especially if you have been out of school for an extended time.

    The following items must accompany your application essay:

    • Official transcripts from every college or university you have attended, including all undergraduate and graduate degrees awarded (sent directly from the institution)
    • Two letters of recommendation, preferably from professors with whom you worked as a graduate student (sent directly to the Office of Admission by your references)
    • A sample of your academic writing, such as an article from a scholarly publication or a graduate course term paper
    • Your curriculum vitae
    • The completed and signed application form
    • The nonrefundable application fee
    • GRE scores (not strictly required but strongly suggested)

    Applicants submitting transcripts from colleges and universities outside of the United States must arrange for evaluation of their credentials by a NACES-approved evaluation service. The evaluation must be received by the Office of Admission by the application deadline.

    Visit the Office of Admission Web pages for more information about required application materials.

    What does the admission committee look for in students?

    Being a small program, we are looking in particular for students whose research and career interests overlap with those of our faculty. Prospective applicants should visit the Milano School website to learn about the academic and policy work of the full-time faculty.

    What is the deadline for submitting an application?

    The absolute deadline to apply is January 15. Milano admits students to the PhD program only for the fall semester. Applications that are still incomplete after January 15 will not be reviewed. (Those who miss the deadline may be asked if they wish to have their application reviewed for the following academic year.) The Admission Committee starts reviewing the applications in early February and completes the process in mid-March. You may be asked to come to The New School for a personal interview if the committee feels it would help them make a decision.

    How many credits do I have to take each semester? Is it possible to study part-time?

    A full-time graduate student takes at least nine credits (three courses) each semester. You can study part-time but must take a minimum of six credits (two courses) per semester to remain in good standing.

    Can I transfer credits from other graduate schools?

    Of the 60 credits required for the PhD, a maximum of 30 can be transferred, provided the courses are deemed relevant to the Milano Public and Urban Policy program. At least 30 credits (10 courses) must be taken in residence.

    Students who wish to transfer credits earned at a graduate school outside of the United States must provide a course-by-course evaluation of their international transcripts prepared by a NACES-approved evaluation service. The evaluation must be received before courses can be reviewed for transfer of credits.

    How many credits must I complete before I can take the qualifying examination?

    You must complete 60 credits (including at least 36 credits in residence) before you are eligible to take the qualifying examination.

    What kind of financial aid is available for students in the PhD program?

    An admitted student can apply for a two-year scholarship that includes a partial tuition remission and/or a modest living stipend as long the student remains in good academic standing. Awards are based on the applicant's financial need and academic merit and the Milano School's budget. Financial aid decisions are made by the director of the PhD program in consultation with each new student after admission. We strongly recommend that all students applying to a doctoral program seek outside funding.

    Are there required courses in the PhD program?

    All students must take six core courses (18 credits): Political Economy and Public Policy Analysis I and II (6 credits); a foundation course in a social science discipline (such as economics, politics, or sociology) (3 credits); two research methods courses, one in quantitative and the other in qualitative methods (6 credits); and the Dissertation Seminar (3 credits).

    Does The New School have housing for graduate students? What if I have a family?

    Certain New School residence halls are open to single graduate students. There is no university housing for families at this time. Information about university housing is sent to all accepted students by the Office of Admission. You can apply for housing on the Student Services website as soon as you have an admission decision. Early application is strongly encouraged. The Office of University Housing will also assist you in finding off-campus accommodations. Contact the housing office through the website or call 212.229.5459 for more information.

    What kinds of jobs are available for PhDs in public and urban policy?

    Recent graduates have found positions in private research institutions, such as MDRC, and tenure track faculty positions at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, Simon Fraser University in Vancouver (Canada), and Brooklyn College-CUNY.