• Newcard

    The newcard, The New School's official identification card, gives you access to university buildings and services at various campus facilities, including academic technology labs and libraries. You must present your newcard when you attend events on campus. If you have added Newcard Cash or are a meal plan participant, your newcard can be used as a debit card at campus dining facilities and certain off-campus merchants. You can also use your newcard to receive student discounts at many local businesses and venues.

  • How to Get Your Newcard ID

    Newly Accepted Students and Transfer Students

    Submitting a Photo

    You can now submit your favorite passport-style photo for a pre-printed card. Your ID photo will also become the profile photo for your student portal, my.newschool.edu, so choose carefully!

    We suggest you prepare by taking a photo in which you are:

    • Well-lit
    • Facing the camera head-on
    • In front of a pale wall
    • Clearly visible (your entire head and shoulders) 

    Submit a high-quality self-portrait via our online portal (idphoto.newschool.edu) to request a pre-printed New School ID. Further information will be emailed to you after you submit your photo. 

    Picking Up Your Pre-printed Card

    In order to claim your New School ID, you will have to present another valid form of photo ID, like a driver's license or passport. Your name must be spelled the same way on your driver's license (or other form of ID) as it is in the New School database; any discrepancy will result in delays in issuing a card. 

    Open Campus Students — Certificate, Non-Degree, and Noncredit

    Certificate, non-degree and noncredit students are now classified as Open Campus students and are entitled to The New School's plastic photo ID, the newcard. Students should keep this card permanently in case they return to campus for another program in the future.

    Learn more about preparing for Continuing Education classes.

    How to Get Your Newcard

    In order to claim your New School ID, please visit our office, located at 72 Fifth Avenue, lower level. You will have to present another valid form of photo ID, like a driver's license or passport. Your name must be spelled the same way on your driver's license (or other form of ID) as it is in the New School database; any discrepancy will result in delays in issuing a card. 


    New Faculty and Staff Employees

    New faculty and staff employees are welcome to choose the photo that represents them at The New School. Please upload a high-res passport-style photo to our photo portal, idphoto.newschool.edu. Shortly afterward, you will receive an email approving your photo; you may then visit our office during office hours to receive your permanent card. Please make sure to bring some form of legal photo ID (driver's license, passport).

    Even if you already have an ID card, you can update your online photo by using idphoto.newschool.edu. In addition to its use on your card, the photo is used to represent you in several places:

    • The University Directory, which does not show up in Google search results of your name
    • The departmental faculty bios for Parsons and The New School for Public Engagement. The photos here show up in Google search results. If you have questions about managing your online presence in this database, please contact your departmental administrator.

    If you separate from the university, your card will be deactivated. If you are staff leaving the university, please ask your supervisor to return your card to our office at Card Services, where we will retain it in case you return. If you are faculty, your card will automatically be reactivated the next time you are teaching a course. If you discard or misplace your card within a ten-year period after receiving it, a $25 replacement fee will apply. (Note: Faculty going on a leave of absence, as well as adjuncts, need to retain their cards in perpetuity, even if they do not teach every semester.) 

     Library Access

    All faculty and most staff have borrowing privileges at NYU's Bobst Library and the Cooper Union Library, in addition to New School libraries. However, it takes several days for newly issued cards to work at the turnstiles at Bobst. We can issue a three-day paper pass to the Bobst turnstiles at our office. If you encounter a turnstile access issue at the Bobst Library, please contact us at newcard@newschool.edu with details and we will submit a service ticket. If you experience a borrowing problem, please contact the New School Library at libsupport@newschool.edu.

    Restricted Access

    If you believe your card should give you access to a restricted access point (side entrances to some New School buildings) or if you encounter a locked door that you do not have access to (faculty lounge, office, conference room, etc.), ask your administrative liaison or supervisor to email the Security department on your behalf. Your card will automatically begin working as soon as the access is set up. If your card is not working at any access points, please contact our office.

    Newcard Cash

    All faculty and staff employees can add Newcard Cash to their dining account, which is used by presenting the ID card. This money can be used at university cafeterias and certain off-campus merchants. As of fall 2016, any purchases made at cafeterias with Newcard Cash will incur normal sales tax. To add Newcard Cash, simply visit newcardcash.newschool.edu and log in with your New School username and password. Click on "Manage Account" on the left, and then "Add Funds" at the top. Newcard Cash does not expire. If you experience any problems using Newcard Cash, please email newcard@newschool.edu.


    Alumni cards are issued to graduates who have completed credited associate's, bachelor's, master's and PhD programs at The New School. Alumni cards must be requested online and are issued by the Office of Alumni Relations. If you requested an alumni card and did not receive it, please contact the Office of Alumni Relations at alumni@newschool.edu.

    When you receive your paper alumni card in the mail, you can trade it in for a permanent plastic alumni card by bringing it to the Campus Card Services office. You must first receive a paper card from the Office of Alumni Relations before you visit Campus Card Services. If you were issued the previous generation of paper alumni cards (orange and gray), you must request the current paper alumni card before you can trade it in for a plastic card.

  • FAQ

    Where can I use Dining Dollars, Dining Dollars Plus, and Newcard Cash?

    VenuesDining Dollars*Dining Dollars Plus*Newcard Cash
    New School cafeteriasYesYesYes
    Off-campus food merchants, O Café at the List Center Library, and vending machinesYesYes
    Off-campus retail merchants and the Equipment CenterYes

    * Dining Dollars and Dining Dollars Plus sales are tax free in university cafeterias.  

    Can online students and faculty members get newcards?

    Students and faculty members taking and teaching courses only online, who cannot visit the New School campus to receive a photo ID, can request a non-photo newcard, which they can use to show their affiliation with The New School and receive the same discounts and benefits as other members of the New School community. To request a non-photo newcard, email newcard@newschool.edu and provide the following information:

    • N-number
    • Full name
    • Address to which the newcard should be mailed

    Our staff can process a non-photo newcard only after we have confirmed that the student is registered and tuition has been paid or arrangements for tuition payment have been made.

    Students and faculty members who wish to use New School campus facilities (like academic technology labs and libraries), or who wish to attend certain events on campus, must show a photo newcard to obtain entry. You can exchange your non-photo newcard for a photo newcard at any time by visiting Campus Card Services and showing a valid government-issued photo ID, such as a state driver's license, other state photo ID, or passport. After your eligibility has been verified, a picture will be taken and your permanent newcard will be printed. There is no charge for replacing a non-photo newcard with a photo newcard.

    How much does a newcard cost?

    There is no charge for your first newcard.

    If your name or status (student, faculty, staff) has changed, there is no charge for a replacement ID. Name changes must first be submitted (with legal documentation) to the Registrar or Human Resources offices, depending on whether you are a student or an employee; please allow three hours for the name change to appear in our database before you visit. Your old ID must be turned in to our office at that time.

    Faculty and staff with orange cards (the previous generation of cards) are entitled to one free replacement when the picture on the front of the card begins to wear off. You must trade in your old card in order to receive a new one. Feel free to email us an updated photo of yourself before your visit; this photo can be used on your replacement ID.

    Destroyed or defaced newcards — ones with punched holes, folds, or other avoidable damage — are not valid, and a $25 fee will be charged for a replacement.

    What should I do if I lose my newcard?

    You must obtain a replacement card and pay the nonrefundable fee of $25.

    You must visit Campus Card Services in person to replace a newcard. No appointment is necessary. Your replacement newcard will be printed and encoded while you wait. The $25 fee must be paid during your visit; credit cards are accepted in our office, and exact-change cash payments can be made two floors above our office at Student Accounts. If you were the victim of a violent crime, please bring any pertinent documentation with you when you visit.

    If your newcard is lost or stolen and you deposited money into a Newcard Cash account, log in to newcardcash.newschool.edu immediately and suspend your card by clicking "Account" and then "Deactivate Card." Failure to suspend a lost card could result in unauthorized use of your account. Once your newcard is suspended, you must go to Campus Card Services to have a replacement card printed. Access to your funds is transferred automatically to your replacement card.

    If a lost newcard is turned in to Campus Card Services, an email will be sent to the cardholder at his or her New School email address. If you have already received a replacement newcard, your previous card has been permanently deactivated and should be destroyed if found.

    What else do I need to know about my newcard?

    You are expected to carry your newcard at all times while on campus. Do not lend your card out to another person; this may result in its being seized. Your newcard is the property of The New School and remains valid as long as you are a registered student or active employee. Use of the nontransferable newcard is governed by The New School's regulations and, like all university property, it must be surrendered upon request. Your newcard will be confiscated if it is misused or carried by someone other than the authorized user. When you graduate or take a leave of absence from The New School, your newcard will no longer be valid; however, if you return for another program of study at The New School or return from a leave of absence, your card will automatically reactivate when you register for courses.