• Updating Your Academic Records

    Updating Your Contact Information

    The Office of the Registrar maintains addresses and telephone numbers for currently enrolled students. It is important for all students, especially international students, to keep their home and local addresses and phone numbers current in the university's records. You can view and update your contact information, including your official, local, permanent, and diploma mailing addresses, through my.newschool.edu.

    Transferring Credits

    Credits earned at other institutions are evaluated for transfer by the admission committee or the dean's office of the student's academic program. Graduate students must file a Transfer of Credit Petition, available from the Registrar. Consult your school's academic catalog for eligibility and procedures. Questions and disputes about transfer credits should be taken up with your dean's office, not the Registrar.

    The Registrar's Office posts approved transfer credits to the student's transcript. Note that The New School does not transfer grades or grade points from other institution. Credit points only are transferred.

    Legal Change of Name

    Currently enrolled students who legally change their names should file the Change of Name form with the Registrar along with required legal proof of the name change, such as a marriage license, a driver’s license, a passport, or divorce papers. This form and supporting documents must be submitted in person.

    Information for Transgender Alumni

    Transgender alumni who have legally changed their names can file the Change of Name form with the Registrar using the procedure noted above.

    Non-Legal Change of Name (Preferred Name)

    Current students who have not legally changed their names can request that the university notify their instructors of their preferred first name and pronoun. Students should contact the Office of Intercultural Support at 212.229.8996 or ois@newschool.edu for more information. Please note that a preferred name will not be displayed on any legal documentation, including transcripts, bills or receipts of payment, tax documentation, financial aid paperwork, or I-20 documents.